Welcome to the 4th Thursday’s Writer’s Headlines
A huge thank you to Marilyn Shipe for offering this collection of writing opportunities and contests. Thanks, Marilyn! Enjoy, friends!
1.Â HILLERMAN MYSTERY SHORT STORY CONTEST--$20 ENTRY FEE. Winner receives $800 and two tickets to the awards dinner, part of the annual Tony Hillerman Writers Conference. Also publication in New Mexico Magazine. Submit mystery short stories that are 2,500 words or less, written in English, set primarily in New Mexico. Deadline August 15, 2012. Critiques are $100 extra.
2.Â FIVE CURRENT GREETING CARD MARKETS
- Avanti Press
- Blue Mountain Arts - Pays well, sometimes asks to test market firstÂ
- Designer Greeting
- Moonlighting Cards - Pays $25. Looking for “love” cards
- Oatmeal Studios – Looking for humor
3.Â CREATING KEEPSAKES MAGAZINE–We’re always looking for fresh, never-before-published scrapbook pages and tips. If you’ve always wanted to be published, e-mail your pages and ideas to email@example.com. Seeks original and creative ideas for scrapbooking enthusiasts. Pays $350 to $600 for articles up to 1,200 words. 50 percent kill fee.
4.Â SOME PERSONAL ESSAY MARKETS
- Chicken Soup for the Soul has an ongoing need for uplifting stories for their anthologies (pays $200.00, plus 10 free copies)
- Thrive in Life (online publication) publishes stories on “how people thrive” (pays $75)
- God Makes Lemonade publishes stories of how “something unexpectedly good happens that never would have happened without something painful happening first” (pays $250 plus 10 free copies)
- Thin Threads publishes stories of “moments, events or decisions, each showing how the course of our lives can be redirected for the better” (pays $100)
5.Â EARLY AMERICAN LIFE–Since 1970 Early American Life has been the source for information on early American style, decorating, and traditions. In addition, we cover both antiques and reproductions made by crafters working in period styles with traditional tools. We do it with our own style–we aim to entertain as well as educate. We also feature stories on gardening with a focus on early America. A one-page story in Early American Life, such as Worth Seeing, runs about 750 words. A typical feature may run 2,500 words. We would estimate $500 for a first feature from a new writer, more if you are an experienced, skillful writer. If we assign a story to you, we will negotiate the rate before you begin work.
6.Â DELICIOUS LIVING–Educates readers on nutrition, disease prevention, integrative medicine, healthy cooking, personal care, and ecofriendly products. Up-to-date information in a clear manner. Only wants fresh new angles. Features 1,000 to 1,200 words. Departments vary widely from fillers of 50 words to columns of 800 words. Send queries and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org
7.Â YOGA JOURNAL–Pays up to $2,000 for features. As little as $50 for fillers. Articles are up to 3,000 words. The magazine explores yoga in its form and practice. It involves integrating yoga in all aspects of life as well as on the health, nutrition, exercise and concepts that broaden its understanding. Big
publisher of freelance articles.
8.Â ADOPTIVE FAMILIES–Adoptive Families is the leading information resource for families before, during, and after adoption. The award-winning national bimonthly magazine provides independent, authoritative adoption information in an accessible and reader-friendly format.
9.Â THE 2012 HAZEL HILLES MEMORIAL SHORT FICTION PRIZE
$6 ENTRY FEE
Deadline: September 18, 2012. Length: No minimum. Maximum 5,000 words. Entrants must be 18 years of age or older, but there are no geographical restrictions. The contest is open to anyone writing in English. Stories can be in any genre and address any theme. All entries must be previously unpublished. Authors retain all copyright to their work. However, Be-a-Better-Writer.com will have first publication rights to the winning stories, which will be published in Page 47 online anthology.
10. FAITH AND FAMILY–At Faith & Family Magazine and Faith & Family Live! our goal is to be a source of support for Catholic women seeking information, inspiration, resources, and encouragement as they embrace their vocations to marriage and motherhood. Our aim is to share personal struggles and triumphs, challenges and joys, and also the lighter side of Catholic living.
Childrenâ€™s books: $400 (1,000 words)
Features (Home, Adult Relationships, Raising Kids, Spirituality,
Marriage Matters): $400 each, (1,800-2,500 words)
What’s Cooking: $450 (intro 300 words + minimum 6 recipes and
My Faith & Family: $400 (1,000 words)
The Quiz $150 (700 words)
12. FAMILY DOG MAGAZINE–From hands-on training techniques to solving common behavior problems to inspiring and entertaining stories about our canine pals, the experts at the AKC will help you provide the best care for your best friend. Our helpful tips, how-to’s, and feature articles are written in an engaging and reader-friendly format. Regular columns include information on natural therapies, nutrition, health-care, and much more. Articles are 1,000 to 2,000 words. Pays up to $500. Columns are staff written. Email address at bottom of page for editorial staff.
13. CHILDREN’S WRITER–A 12-page monthly newsletter in two sections reporting on the marketplace for childrenâ€™s writingâ€”books, articles, stories, plays, activities, and more. Current news, trends, tips, how to write to publish. Aimed at beginning to well-established professional writers interested in learning more and keeping up-to-date on writing for children, selling their writing, and the juvenile publishing industry. Informs subscribers about, and analyzes, current markets in articles, columns, and reporting of editorial needs. Helps writers of all levels of expertise to strengthen their writing with markets in mind. Features 1,700-2,000 words. Submit a detailed query, listing potential interview sources, proposed length, and proposed submission date. Payment on acceptance, $300. Columns are each 750 words, with a sidebar of approximately 125-words. Submit a detailed query. Payment, on acceptance, $200.
14. GAMES MAGAZINE–GAMES, founded in 1977, is a consumer magazine featuring a wide variety of verbal and visual puzzles, brainteasers, trivia quizzes, and many other features, as well as reviews of new board games and electronic games. Email query to email@example.com . Articles 1,500 to 3,000 words. Columns and puzzles/games available as well. Pays up to $1,000 for articles. Columns pay up to $250.
15. GEMINI FLASH FICTION CONTEST–ENTRY FEE $4 ($3 for each additional entry). Grand prize: $1,000. Second place wins $100, and weâ€™ve added a third place prize of $50. There will also be three honorable mentions. All six finalists will be published online in the October 2012 issue of Gemini. Maximum length: 1,000 words. Deadline: August 31, 2012. Absolutely no restrictions on content, style or genre. Both new and established writers are welcome.
16. GRASSIC SHORT NOVEL PRIZE–$25 ENTRY FEE. Our idea is to emphasize the power, skill and enduring value of the short novel form: limit 30,000-70,000 words. $500 and publication by the Evening Street Press will be awarded for the best short novel manuscript. The contest is open to writers who have already published books as well as those for whom this is a first book. The winning writer will receive 25 copies from a press run of 250. Submissions deadline December 1, 2012. Fee includes a one-issue subscription to the Evening Street Review.
17. VALHALLA PRESS LITERARY FICTION AND CREATIVE NONFICTION CONTEST–$15 ENTRY FEE. First prize: $500, eReader of your choice and inclusion in Ragnarok, the Valhalla Press 2013 Anthology
Second prize: eReader of your choice and inclusion in Ragnarok, the Valhalla Press 2013 Anthology
Honorable Mention: Inclusion in Ragnarok, the Valhalla Press 2013 Anthology
Limit your work to 5,000 words. Deadline August 30, 2012.